Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The worst blogger in history is.....

ME. I admit, I have been horrible, and I mean HORRIBLE at keeping up with this blog. For a while, I did great, then, I got busy, then I got unbusy, but I was so far behind that it was daunting. It still is daunting. The idea of trying to keep up with this thing, even if its just once a week, picking my favorite meal from that week and writing about it. Can I really commit to that? I hope so. Seeing as how I have SO much free time, and I'm feeling a bit like a "bored housewife," and the problem with that is, I'm not married yet. But I do live with my boyfriend, and I have a part time job while he works full time...point being, a lot of free time. I talked with my mom today and she convinced me that I need to get back to this, daunting or not. Maybe I will put up past meals, maybe I won't. I guess we will do this on a as I see fit basis.

But today I did start working on something that I won't actually get to eat until tomorrow, but I did some tasting and I am positive that it is going to be fantastic.

Bon Appetit has this great recipe for pork tacos! So I took the basic idea of that, and twisted it around, mostly because I couldn't find all the ingredients in just one grocery store, and since we have had horrendous weather (read: TORNADOS!!!!!) all day long, I just managed one store.

I failed to take pictures of the process, but I will get some posted up of the making of the taco part.

My recipe for pork tacos is...

(HUGE FLASH OF LIGHTNING AND THUNDER RIGHT OVER MY HOUSE JUST NOW)

4 lb Boston Butt
4 dried chile peppers
4 Garlic cloves, smashed but not diced or cut in any form
Bay leaves
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp all spice
1/2 a large white onion chopped
1 Tbsp lime juice

and the magazine recipe calls for 1 bottle of Negro Modelo, but since my recipe took place in a crock pot, I used 4 bottles of it.

So basically combine all ingredients into the crock pot and let it cook for 7-8 hours. Make sure when you put the meat into the pot, that you put the fat side up, because as the meat cooks, the fat helps to tenderize everything below it. I did continue to rotate the meat though as it was cooking, just to make sure that everything got an equal time share of cook time down in the beer/ingredients concoction.

After the proper amount of cooking time, separate the meat out into a glass dish from the fat bits, onions, garlic cloves, juices, etc.

After that I shredded the pork with two forks, and seasoned it just a tad with some Tony's cachere's and just a very little bit of chipotle bar-b-que sauce and some raspberry chipotle sauce. I didn't want to use much sauce, because the main flavor that I want is that of the pork, I didn't want to drown out all the "hard work" of seasoning and cooking in beer etc. So all in all it was probably 1 1/2 tbsp of bbq sauce. Just enough to give it a bit of a shine.

As of now the meat is back in the crock pot on the "keep warm" setting to help bring out some of the extra flavors, after it came out of the crock pot the first time.

In the morning I will get it back out, and let it cool down, all the while trying to be good, and not eat it before lunch time, because let's face it, delicious or not, pork tacos in the morning is a bit weird.

So, I will take pictures in the morning of the assembly process onto the tortilla.

And here's hoping to me being more successful of a blogger. I read them often enough to be dedicated to several blogs, so I should at least be dedicated to my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews