Friday, May 6, 2011

I'm so tired I can't make words right now...

But here's some pretty pictures to look at until I can make some sense.

*Edited in information:
I literally passed out right after I posted these pictures last night.  Super tired.  Anyway....  Stuffed Poblano Peppers is what was on the menu the other night.  I originally had this when I was babysitting this little boy that I've been watching for a few years, and his mom always has the best food cooked!  Not only is he a great kid to babysit, I get to eat delicious food.  So the next time I was over there babysitting, I asked the mom for the recipe, which she so kindly gave to me.  It comes from one of Martha Stewart's cook books, but here's a link to it, seeing as how I don't actually have the cookbook.


The recipe doesn't call for rotel tomatos, but I added them in for a little extra kick.

For whatever reason, my store didn't have fresh jalapeno's so I just got some in a jar, and de-seeded them and took out the little ribs inside, they still work just as good, if not better than the fresh ones.


I picked some beautiful peppers!


The red of the sauce in this pictures is looking a little dull, but I'm at work so I can't fix it....





mmmmm......delish

It ended up that I made this on Cinco de Mayo, and we had some friends over to eat with us.  This recipe is great.  If you are like me and enjoy a little extra kick of spicy, throw in the rotel with your tomatos when you are pureeing.  Otherwise just leave them out, because the jalapeno's and poblano's are spicy enough.  The way this is set up makes it perfectly seasoned, with only the addition of salt, pepper, and cumin from the spice department. 

The full recipe is this...

  • 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes in puree
  • 1 jalapeno chile (ribs and seeds removed, for less heat), minced
  • 2 small onions, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves (2 whole, 1 minced)
  • coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 can (19 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 4 large poblano chiles, halved lengthwise (stems left intact), ribs and seeds removed


  1. Preheat oven to 425. In a blender, combine tomatoes in puree, jalapeno, half the onions, and 2 whole garlic cloves; puree. Season with salt. Pour sauce into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine beans, cornmeal, 1/2 cup cheese, remaining onions, minced garlic, cumin, and 3/4 cup water; season with salt and pepper.
  3. Dividing evenly, stuff poblano halves with bean mixture; place on top of sauce in baking dish. Sprinkle poblanos with remaining 1/2 cup cheese; cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil.
4.  Bake until poblanos are tender, about 45 minutes. Uncover, and continue to cook until sauce is        thickened slightly and cheese is browned, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cool 10 minutes.

A few other adjustments I made in the recipe were...

  • Instead of pouring all of the sauce into the baking dish, I reserved some to pour on top of the peppers and its stuffing before I topped them with cheese
  • I used three garlic cloves for the puree and 2 minced, and it didn't become too garlic-y 
  • Once plated, drizzle some white queso cheese on top, you don't have to, but our friends brought over some chips and dip, so we tried it, and it's good.
  • This has nothing to do with the recipe, but a good mexican beer is nice to drink with this, makes it seem like more of an authentic meal.



*side note...for some reason when I upload pictures the colors become very off....I'll also fix that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews