Monday, August 23, 2010

Black Bean Quesadillas with Corn Salsa for one.

So, my boyfriend is out of town this week. He works for the guy who owns the Alabama State Fair, so he is AT the fair. Which I think is NO fair. But I'm just saying...

I got a new cookbook when I was at home in Jackson MS this past weekend, and I love it already. It's super quick, healthy recipes that you can prepare during the week, for when you are in a rush, get home too late to do anything really involved, or I suppose if you are just being lazy. Anyway, tonight I made Black Bean Quesadillas with Corn Salsa. Yum. Also, being the absent minded person that I am, I forgot to get some tortilla chips to go with the cheese dip that I had in order to have the full on "TexMex" experience, so...I made my own. I just baked some tortillas in the oven while I was preparing everything else, and tada!! Chips.















This is the "innards" for the quesadilla. The recipe calls for black beans, plum tomatoes, garlic, and cilantro. I however also threw in some chopped celery, and some mushrooms for good measure, and you know, because it's oh so good for your body. You simply simmer this stuff until the juices have gone. I used 1 can of beans, about 5 small/medium plum tomatoes, a clump of fresh cilantro, 1 1/2 teaspoon of garlic, 2 stalks of celery and about 6 mushrooms. Simmer it all in Olive Oil.


Once you get the innards prepared, you simply toss it in the tortilla, throw some cheese on it, and stick it in the oven on broil until the tortilla is golden brown, or the cheese is melted. Super easy.



















Corn Salsa, also super easy.
Throw some corn, a chopped red bell pepper, cilantro (which I forgot to save some for the corn salsa), and lime juice into a pot, simmer for about 2 minutes, and it's done. Quick easy, and healthy. Not to mention it was dang good.





























I am a fan of sour cream, so when I was eating these I spread a thin layer on top and put the corn salsa on top of that. Yum. Also, as I said before, I made my own tortilla chips, which I quite liked. I do love a good tostitos chip or some variation of a salty restaurant style tortilla/corn chip, but this was nice because when you make you own chips, they aren't quite as salty or "heavy".

The great this about this recipe is that you can store everything for this separately so that like me, since I'm the only one eating it currently, I can make some lunch with it tomorrow.

So starting the week off well with some good eats, let's see what else I can whip up later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews