Wednesday, May 11, 2011

If you do all the dishes....

I'll make supper.  It's a common deal made in this house.  Last nights supper was one of those where you scratch your head, look in your pantry, open the fridge see what you have in there, and then pull out a bunch of stuff that you think will taste good together.



I pretty much always have the ingredients to make some kind of pasta, so that's what I did.  Miraculously I also had the ingredients to make a cream sauce.  At first I thought I would just use olive oil and saute some things, which I started doing when I lived in Italy one summer for school.  There's so many different kinds of pasta dishes out there, that you learn to adapt them from the restaurant version into simple ones that you can do in your home.  So when I was in Italy, I would saute tomatoes, garlic, onions, and sometimes green olives, in olive oil and serve it over pasta.  And since I was in Italy, we would of course already have some kind of delicious bread in the kitchen, so we would pour out some olive oil, crack a little pepper and add a dash of salt, and voila!  Quick easy and tasty!


But last night I decided instead of an olive oil saute I wanted a cream sauce.  I found one that I could make using condensed milk and fresh parmesan.  So I did.  Which you will see further down the line.


I had some chicken tenders in the freezer, so I boiled them to get them defrosted, and then cooked them in the skillet with some fresh thyme, and blackened chicken seasoning to seal in some flavor.


Then I added mushroom...


And I threw the tomatos into the skillet for about five seconds so that they could get some seasoning on them, then I plated it.  Since we didn't have a whole lot of one type of pasta, as you can see we used two.  I would have preferred just bow tie, or penne, but we didn't have penne, and only had a little bit of bow tie.  So I mixed my bow tie and some whole wheat spaghetti noodles together.  I shot the plated picture before I put the cream sauce on it, because it kind of "drowned" the pasta, and you couldn't really see much under the cream sauce, seeing as how it was thick.

 

But here's a nice picture of it in the pot!


And the recipe for it is..

1/2 cup condensed milk
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
2 tablespoons butter 
paprika
garlic salt
salt
pepper
(and because I wanted mine a little more creamy I added some ricotta cheese to it.  But be careful if you do this to not let it sit for too long, because the ricotta will stick back together if it isn't served piping hot)

Add butter and condensed milk to a saucepan and cook on high heat until the butter melts.  Be careful not to let it boil.  Once it is all combined, add the parmesan, stir until it is melted, then season with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic salt.  Do this to taste.  Everyone likes theirs different.  ( I accidentally opened the wrong side of the garlic salt and dumped a ton in there, but thankfully we like things very garlicy.  And it actually didn't turn out too strong.)  If you choose to put the ricotta cheese in, do so now, reduce heat to medium, and stir stir stir until it is all combined.  Reduce heat again to low while you plate pasta and toppings, then drizzle the cream sauce over the top.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews